When you apply to Hallam, we consider your personal circumstances as well as your grades, experience and personal statement.
In some cases, that means we will make you a contextual offer. As a contextual offer holder you will have access to dedicated additional support to help you through your journey to university including our SHU Progress scheme. As a contextual offer holder, we will also take your circumstances into consideration when receiving your results and it may mean we are able to be more flexible in confirming your place.
Why we make contextual offers
We want every student with the potential to succeed at Hallam to be able to do so.
Contextual offers help make sure that everyone who applies has a fair chance of getting a place, regardless of their background.
How to get a contextual offer
We make contextual offers based on the information in your UCAS application form. So all you need to do is apply through UCAS, and make sure you include any additional information about your circumstances.
Who gets contextual offers
If you meet one or more of the following criteria you will be made a contextual offer.
On your UCAS application you have declared that you:
- are a care leaver or have previous experience of being in care
- have a disability
- are over the age of 21
- are a refugee or been granted Humanitarian Protection
Or alternatively you are a member of the SHU Progress support scheme and/or you:
- are a carer - providing unpaid care for a friend or family member who could not cope without your support
- are estranged and have no relationship or support from a parent or carer
- are from an armed forces family or you have experience of serving in the armed forces
- are a Black British applicant
- come from a household with an annual income of less than £25,000, or you are experiencing financial hardship which affects your choice of places to study
- are homeless or at risk of homelessness
- have circumstances that mean you are unable to move away from home to go to university
- have extenuating circumstances - experienced a recent, serious and unexpected event that has significantly affected your level 3 studies
If you have any questions about your offer or any of the above, please contact our admissions enquiries team and they will be happy to help.