Money and insurance

Need further advice?

Get support from the team

Money and insurance

Need further advice?

Get support from the team

Managing your money

It’s important to think about how you’re going to manage your money while you’re abroad. 

Opening an overseas bank account is a good option, but might not be suitable if your stay is short. Another option is to top up a temporary travel credit card, or simply check what restrictions your current bank has on using your own card abroad.

If you get charged per transaction, think about withdrawing money from a cash machine to last you a couple of weeks. 

If you are planning on using your card abroad, remember to let your bank know or they might block payments as an anti-fraud measure.

Finally, take some foreign currency so you can find your feet without having to worry about accessing your bank account.

What to budget for

  • Travel to your destination
  • Local travel when you’re there
  • Accommodation
  • Food and drink
  • Social activities
  • Sightseeing
  • Insurance
  • Passport (if you need a new one)
  • Visa (if you need one)
  • Travel and medical supplies
  • Course materials
  • Vaccinations
  • An emergency fund


Sheffield Hallam University travel insurance

We provide free travel insurance for your trip overseas. This is compulsory and you need to take it out as soon as possible.

Please read the information below, then fill out the Travel Insurance Request Form and send it to

Do not complete the form if you’re going abroad for one semester. We’ll ask you to submit this separately before you go.

Sheffield Hallam insurance includes:

  • emergency medical expenses
  • search and rescue expenses
  • emergency repatriation expenses
  • cancellation and curtailment of trip (due to unforeseen circumstances)

It does not include:

  • insurance for your possessions
  • any special activities you may be involved in

This means you’ll need to take out your own policy to cover the above, from the day you leave to the day you return. Make sure to check exactly what you’re covered for, including any Covid-19 related clauses.

At the end of your exchange, placement or project you’re entitled to cover for up to three personal days. If your trip has more than three personal days or holidays you’ll need your own travel insurance to cover this period.

Most insurance policies don’t cover sports such as skiing, scuba diving or mountain biking. If you’re planning on doing any adventurous activities, you’ll need extra cover.

It’s also a good idea to book refundable tickets wherever possible.

Please note, you may still incur costs that aren’t retrievable in the event of a cancellation and that University insurance cover isn’t available for students already living in the destination country of their study or work abroad experience.

Remember to carry a copy of your passport and insurance policy with you at all times, so you can prove your identity and show proof of insurance in an emergency. 

Country specific information

The University’s travel insurance does not cover travel to the following countries:
• Afghanistan • Algeria • Chad • mainland China • Crimea • Iran • Iraq • Israel • Mali • Mauritania • Nigeria • North Korea • North Sudan • Russia • Somalia • Syria • The Occupied Palestinian Territories • Ukraine • Venezuela • Yemen

Certain other countries also need referral to the insurers. Please contact the University’s Insurance Manager before booking travel to the following countries:
• Cuba • Hong Kong • Mexico • Pakistan

The University does not allow travel to any areas that the Foreign and Commonwealth Office advises against “All” or “All but essential” travel to.

UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC)

You should also apply for a UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC). This provides you with limited state healthcare for a low fee, and sometimes even for free.