Skip to content

Health and vaccinations

Health and vaccinations

Make sure you know who your term-time doctor is, and which vaccinations you need to have.

Key tasks

Register with a doctor

If you are moving to Sheffield to attend Hallam, you should register with our student health centre. You can do this online, and you don't have to wait until you have moved in.

Register with Student Health at Sheffield Hallam.

Check your vaccinations

You should have had vaccinations for:

  • MMR (measles, mumps and rubella)
  • meningitis

Meningitis is particularly important if you are under 25. If you are not sure whether you have been vaccinated, check with a parent or carer, or ask your doctor.

If you do need the MMR or meningitis vaccines, contact your doctor. Try to get vaccinated a few weeks before you start university, as immunity takes time to develop.

Stay at home if you're feeling unwell

There are currently a high number of cases of communicable diseases like Strep A, rubella, chickenpox and flu, which can be easily spread from one person to another. We advise you to be mindful of this, and help protect yourself and others by following good hygiene and staying at home if you feel unwell.


All aged 16+ can now book a Covid-19 vaccination. Getting vaccinated is important in limiting transmission and protecting yourself, course-mates and the wider community.

You can book your vaccinations when in Sheffield, whether you’re moving into the area locally or travelling from overseas as an international student.

Healthcare in the UK for international students

The National Health Service (NHS) is the UK’s public health service. If you paid an NHS surcharge at the time of making your Tier 4 visa application, you can access a range of health services. You will not have to pay for hospital treatment, but you may have to pay for dental treatment and medicines.

If you did not pay an NHS surcharge at the time of your visa application then you should get medical insurance for the UK as you will have to pay for NHS treatment, except for emergency healthcare. You will not have to pay for emergency treatment, but will have to pay for follow-up care, hospital treatment, dental treatment and medicines.

You should register with one of the medical centres as organised by the International Experience Team during your orientation session in your first week. If you miss the planned session you should register as soon as possible. You will need to take your passport, SHUcard and proof of your UK address (accommodation contract).

If you come from a country where there is a high risk of contracting tuberculosis, please contact the medical centre. You will also need to provide a valid medical certificate to show you have undergone TB screening and that it is not present.

All international students over the age of 18 are now eligible to receive Covid-19 vaccinations in the UK.

If you need MMR or Meningitis ACWY vaccinations or a TB screening test* ensure you book a date/time for your appointment by calling the medical centre after registering. 

If you have been vaccinated for any of the illnesses listed above, please bring proof of vaccination to your appointment.

If you are not vaccinated, please ring the medical centre to book an appointment as soon as you arrive. It is important you keep the appointment you book or cancel if you are unable to attend. 

*Tuberculosis (TB) is an infectious disease which can have a slow onset of symptoms and cause poor outcomes for individuals if left untreated. The Collaborative TB Strategy for England recommends systematic testing and treatment for 16 to 35 year olds who recently arrived in the UK from high incidence countries. This testing is part of the requirements of you studying in the UK so please ensure you book an appointment for testing as soon as possible after you have arrived. 


Covid guidelines

Some Covid guidelines are still in place on campus. Check the Keeping safe on campus pages to find out what you need to know.

Related content