Having access to recorded lectures from your modules throughout your studies can be very useful when revising or revisiting materials. Whilst viewing these recorded materials there are steps you can take to make the most of your recorded lectures.
View our tips below:
Don’t binge watch – if you are consistently watching recorded materials you can suffer from mental fatigue, this will make it far more difficult to retain information. (your recorded lecture is not a Netflix series)
- Find a quiet space - it’s easy to get distracted when you’re watching at home or on the move. Try to set some time aside when you can really focus on the recordings.
- Get comfy - it’s important to focus, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get comfy. Bring snacks and cosy up - whatever works best for you.
- Make notes – try not to just passively watch your recorded lectures, take notes and summarise the content into your own words.
- Watch together – sometimes watching and discussing with a course-mate can make understanding complex information easier.
- Pause and rewind – take a moment to pause when you are dealing with something difficult to understand and be willing to rewind the video to listen again.
- Change the speed – it is possible to view content at an increased pace using the Panopto Video Player, as long as you can still clearly understand the content it is a good way to view recorded lectures in a shorter time.
- Formulate questions of parts you struggle to understand – if while viewing a recorded lecture you find you have questions on a specific topic, remember to make a note of them and ask your lecturer.
How to access your recorded lectures:
Your recorded lectures will primarily be hosted on your blackboard module sites in Learning Materials or on Panopto. These recorded lectures will be released by your lecturers throughout the academic year and can be revisited as long as the module is active.
Trouble accessing Panopto?
If you are having trouble when accessing Panopto videos on your modules, try the following:
- Make sure your browser allows pop-ups and do not interrupt the Panopto pop-up as it is logging in.
Enable third party cookies in your browser settings for Panopto.
Try using another browser, Google Chrome is recommended.